An inquiry into the cause of increased excess deaths in Scotland since the start of the pandemic has been launched by the COVID-19 Recovery Committee..
Recent data published by the Scottish Government shows deaths in Scotland are 11% above the average for this time of year and have been above the average for the last 26 weeks. The Committee will investigate whether this rise in deaths is being caused by COVID-19 directly, or the indirect health effects of the pandemic.
The Committee is seeking views on the following questions:
• Has the public health emergency shifted from COVID-19 deaths to deaths from non-COVID-19 conditions?
• Is there evidence that patients are now presenting with greater acuity?
• What accounts for the deaths from non-COVID-19 conditions?
• Is there enough of a strategic focus on the indirect health impacts of the pandemic?
• What are the realistic options open to the government in addressing the indirect health impact of the virus in winter 2021/22?
Speaking as the inquiry was launched, Siobhian Brown MSP, Convener of the COVID-19 Recovery Committee said:
“The latest data released by the Scottish Government shows an alarming rise in the number of excess deaths since the start of the pandemic.
“Recent media reports suggest the pandemic has led to delays and decreases in the number of patients being diagnosed with illnesses, such as cancers, which can negatively impact the efficacy of treatment. We are keen to learn more about the indirect health impacts of the pandemic and whether the public health emergency has shifted from COVID-19 deaths to deaths from non-COVID-19 conditions.
“Every death is a tragedy, whether caused by COVID-19 or not, and it is essential that we establish the root causes of these deaths and find out what has led to this spike in the number of lives being lost.”
Let the Committee know your views here: https://yourviews.parliament.scot/covid19/excess-deaths-covid19-pandemic
More information on the Committee can be found on our website: COVID-19 Recovery Committee | Scottish Parliament Website
The Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body securely processes journalists’ data for the purpose of enabling reporting on the work of the Scottish Parliament, in line with current data protection requirements. You have the right to unsubscribe at any time. For further information, please see our Privacy Notice.
Nick Connelly: 0131 348 5453 / 07866 125623
Text Relay calls welcome
Sigrid Robinson, Clerk
Text Relay calls welcome
• Telephone enquiry line: 0800 092 7500 or 0131 348 5395 (Gàidhlig)
• [email protected]
• Text 07786 209 888
• Ask a question online through live chat
• We also welcome calls using the Text Relay service or in British Sign Language through contact SCOTLAND-BSL.
You can also follow us on twitter @scotparl
Like us on Facebook for updates on news and events
Or find out more on YouTube