SPCB determination (Private Bills): Fees and reimbursement of costs
The Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) has determined under Rules 9A.1.8 and 9A.6.5(e) of Standing Orders the fees payable by promoters of, and objectors to, a Private Bill, and has determined under Rule 9A.2.3(d)(vi) those matters for which promoters must undertake to reimburse its costs, as follows:
Fee payable by the promoter of a Private Bill
To introduce a Private Bill to which Rule 9A.1.1A applies: £10,000
To introduce a Private Bill to which Rule 9A.1.1A does not apply, where the promoter is—
a local authority, a commercial organisation, or any other organisation or individual not eligible for the reduced fee below: £7,500
a registered charity, non-profit-making organisation or private individual: £2,000.
Fee payable by an objector
To lodge an objection: nil.
Matters for which promoters must undertake to reimburse the Parliamentary corporation
The cost of printing and publishing the Bill and accompanying documents.
The cost of publishing Private Bill Committee reports.
Professional fees charged by an assessor for:
· the consideration of objections to the Bill (or objections to amendments), including considering written evidence and conducting oral hearings, and
· the preparation of reports,
together with any travel, accommodation and subsistence costs reasonably incurred in connection with that work.
For public meetings of Private Bill Committees, or public hearings conducted by an assessor, whether or not held at the Scottish Parliament—
· the cost of preparing and publishing the Official Report or any transcript prepared by the Official Report
· the costs incurred by broadcasting staff in connection with a sound recording, video broadcast and/or webcast of proceedings
· the costs involved in having security staff present throughout the meeting or hearing
· the cost of any claims paid by the SPCB to objectors under the witness expenses scheme.
For public meetings of a Private Bill Committee, or public hearings conducted by an assessor, held at a location other than the Scottish Parliament (in addition to the above matters)—
· the cost of hiring a suitable venue
· any costs incurred in connection with a sound recording, video broadcast and/or webcast of proceedings, either by Parliament staff or by persons contracted for the purpose (if this is more cost-effective than using Parliament staff)
· the cost of preparing a transcript of the proceedings, either by the Official Report or by persons contracted for the purpose (if it is not practicable for the transcript to be prepared by the Official Report)
· any travel, accommodation and subsistence costs reasonably incurred by Committee members, or by Parliament staff or contractors (clerks, legal advisers, Official Report, broadcasting and security), in connection with attending the meeting or hearing.
For fact-finding visits by Private Bill Committee members, agreed to by the Committee, any travel, accommodation and subsistence costs reasonably incurred by those Committee members, and by any accompanying Parliament staff.
In relation to an amendment that adversely affects private interests and is lodged at Consideration Stage or selected for Final Stage, any costs incurred by the Parliament (including by the Private Bill Committee or an assessor) in notifying the holders of those interests of the terms and implications of the amendments and of how they may make representations.