The Buildings (Recovery of Expenses) (Scotland) Bill, (formally referred to as the Defective and Dangerous Buildings (Recovery of Expenses) Bill) was introduced in the Parliament by David Stewart MSP, on 30 October 2013.
The policy objective of the Bill is to amend the Buildings (Scotland) Act 2003 to allow local authorities to make charging orders for recovery of expenses incurred where they have carried out work to defective or dangerous buildings under various sections of that Act.
Please note, after stage 2 consideration of the Bill, the short title, 'Defective and Dangerous Buildings (Recovery of Expenses) (Scotland) Bill has been changed. The Bill will now be referred to as the 'Buildings (Recovery of Expenses) (Scotland) Bill.
On Friday 8 November 2013 the Committee launched our call for evidence on the Defective and Dangerous Buildings (Recovery of Expenses) (Scotland) Bill. The call for evidence closed 1800 Friday 31 January 2014.
The Committee invited all interested parties to submit written evidence on the Bill, setting out their views on the provisions of the Bill and addressing the following questions:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed Bill?
- How will the Bill resolve existing problems and improve the ability of local authorities to undertake repairs to dangerous and defective buildings?
- Where could the initial capital, required by local authorities to undertake this work, be found?
- Where the owner of a building is not known how, will the Bill improve on the current situation?
- Are there any equality issues arising from the proposed Bill?
- What are your views on a fixed period of 30 years for repayment?
Please read our Policy on Treatment of Written Evidence by Subject and Mandatory Committees.
Page last updated 24 February 2014
The Committee published its Stage 1 report on the Defective and Dangerous Buildings (Recovery of Expenses) (Scotland) Bill on 18 March 2014.
Local Government and Regeneration Committee, 4th Report, 2014 (Session 4): Stage 1 Report on the Defective and Dangerous Buildings (Recovery of Expenses) (Scotland) Bill
The Bill has been referred to the Committee at Stage 2.
The Committee expects to consider amendments to the Bill on 4 June 2014.
The first daily list of amendments was published on 28 May 2014.
The second daily list of amendments was published on 29 May 2014.
Stage 3 consideration of the Bill will take place within the Chamber on 19/06/2014.
The Marshalled, and Grouped list of amendments were published on 16/06/2014 and 18/06/2014.